Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Dragon Warrior

The Dragon Warrior:

Hey guys. Things have been sooo busy around here. I’m getting to the final stretch of coloring Missile Mouse book 2. Just colored page 92 last night. About 50 to go! So, blogging has been back-burnering while I tend to that and some other projects.

This here though is a breath of fresh air. Had a little extra time the other day and I decided to do something that WASN’T cartoony, or cute, or too stylized. Every once in a while you’ve got to let the pendulum swing the other way, right? I’ve been denying the urge to do some concept art/character design stuff for a while and finally I took the latest DRAW FORCE mission as an opportunity to do that. Also, looking back through my work I have hardly any fantasy stuff in my portfolio. So, a dragon warrior had to be done.

dragonwarriorlarge

You can see a higher res image of it here.

And here’s the pencils:

dragonwarriorpencil

I went in a gave this some tone before adding the photshop color stuff. I kind of liked it at this point and regret cleaning it up as much as I did. Perhaps my next one will be a bit dirtier.

Dragon Warrior rough

Here it is with the tone, linework, and a bit of PS highlight, no color.

dragonwarrior3

Anyway, I still feel a little rusty doing this style. But it was fun, and it got it out of my system for now. I’d like to do a dragon next.

One last thing before you go. You like mechs? Then MECH LOVE NOT WAR. It’s a tumblr my friend and I are doing. Just posting all the cool mech pictures we find on the web.

No comments:

Post a Comment