Friday, November 4, 2011

the rejected drawing of the cardassian ship yards

the rejected drawing of the cardassian ship yards:
wow this was a huge one, it took  6 scans to get it all HAAA!!!

wow this was a huge one, it took 6 scans to get it all HAAA!!!

cu1

cu2

cu2

cu3

cu3

cu3

cu3

cu5

cu5

I had forgotten how big this drawing was,,,, I tried something bigger than the usual 11X17 (which was the max size of the copier) and tried a big 24X36 marker piece and this is what came of it!!! A giant marker nightmare!!! Haaa! The story behind this one was this,,, This was for the first show of season 7 and I was up at ILM on a project during the DS9 hiatus. The project went over and I got Greg Jein to fill in for me while I was away. Greg is not only the Miniature Giant but he is an outstanding artist as well. He was thrown into a concept nightmare with this Cardassian ship yard that was going thru some pretty rough approval sessions. Greg also hit a huge union snag that sadly cancelled his drawing stint in the art department. (Greg’s art from this episode is coming soon) My show got cancelled early and I got back at the same time they were kicking Greg out!!!! It was a bad time to say the least!!!! Greg’s pieces were brilliant with sweeping platforms and docks full of ships under construction. all were getting the boot but in the long run a kluge of his work came to be the final design. To go in a totally new direction is what is shown here. It is a spin off from DS9 architecture stylized to be a huge shipyard. This too was quickly rejected but made for a fun marker sketch. here are some close ups to go with the big view. Also this is going to be a hugely busy week. Deg and I have to get the Shatner project going in full force and Wonderfest is next week and I am not ready,,,so with that the blog will most likely go slim for a day or so but if time allows I’ll keep putting things up even if I can’t get on to chat and comment back. Ok then and thanks to everyone again for a great week last week and for all the entries and links to your awesome modeling and Animations. Thanks mostly for the prayers for my daughter and for everything else. OK have a great Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment