Wednesday, November 2, 2011

What I've been doing. . .

What I've been doing. . .: In case anyone is wondering why I've suddenly gotten worse at posting regularly, it's mostly because my class is eating up the spare time I used to paint in. When I'm not developing plans on what I want to teach and collecting reference images for lectures, I'm doing paintovers, making notes on people's work, and generally trying to be more helpful than I'm actually capable of. Maybe the most frustrating part of doing paintovers is that I'm always rushed, and I never get to really finish something to show what you can really pull off. In the end I never feel like I have something worth showing.

I keep finding myself painting spheres to represent how a lighting scheme would affect a form. It might be because the most common problem I see is failure to render form properly, but I think it's also that I'm becoming more and more lazy as time goes on. If I don't want to show how to fix someone's painting, I just scribble a highlight on a circle and suggest they just do that with the rest of the image. (See how helpful I am?)

This image represents maybe a tenth of the total number of paintovers I've done. Other things you see here:
-a doodle suggestion for someone's character design
-the class wanted to see how I would paint an eye---and this is what you get if you pay for 15 minutes of eye painting
-writing!


















Also, my first assignment was to do values, and then add saturation in one hue, over a Joe Olsen, Ben Balistreri, or Jessica Borutski drawing. I will never do this as the first assignment again (too hard for most people). Still, it was fun and I got to do this picture as an example. Character design by the vastly talented Ben Balistreri.

No comments:

Post a Comment